Atlas EnergyShield Pro is composed of a Class A closed cell polyisocyanurate (polyiso) foam core faced with a reflective 12 mil reinforced foil facer on one side and a white 12 mil reinforced acrylic-coated aluminum facer on the other. The blowing agent used to produce the polyiso foam core does not contain any CFCs, HCFCs or HFCs. EnergyShield Pro has zero Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) and negligible Global Warming Potential (GWP). EnergyShield Pro combines high R-value, Class A foam core, durable aluminum facers, and water resistive barrier attributes in a high performance rigid wall insulation. EnergyShield Pro is designed to be used as exterior continuous insulation (CI) or may be reversed for interior applications in compliance with NFPA 286 for interior walls only or ceilings only where a clean white surface is desirable.
Panel sizes are 4ʹ by 8ʹ or 4ʹ by 9ʹ. Panels can be supplied in nominal 16ʺ or 24ʺ widths for use in masonry cavity wall applications. Custom sizes are also available.
|R-VALUE1,2||NOMINAL BOARD THICKNESS|
1Conditioned thermal values were determined by ASTM Test Method C 518 at 75° mean temperature. Test specimens were conditioned in accordance with procedures outlined in ASTM C1289, Section 220.127.116.11.
2“R” means resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating power.
3Other sizes available upon request. Contact your local Atlas sales office.
EnergyShield Pro is recommended for use in both commercial and residential construction (Type l through Type V) where the Class A flame spread is needed.
Common applications include:
- Exterior or interior continuous insulation (CI) in commercial and residential construction
- Exterior or interior continuous insulation (CI) for masonry or concrete wall systems, including exterior masonry cavities
- Exterior or interior continuous insulation (CI) in commercial and residential wood stud construction
- Exterior continuos insulation (CI) over wood or gypsum sheathings
- Use over existing cladding to improve energy efficiency with continuous insulation (CI) and provide a level surface prior to installing a new cladding
- Various OEM applications
- Approved for use in attics and crawlspaces without requiring the use of a thermal barrier (ICC-ES A12, Appendix B)
- Interior exposed applications installed with white facer facing outward for interior walls only or ceilings only
|PROPERTY||TEST METHOD||TEST METHOD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS|
|FLAME SPREAD||ASTM E84||<25|
|SMOKE DEVELOPMENT||ASTM E84||<450|
|MOISTURE VAPOR TRANSMISSION
(ASTM E96 DESICCANT METHOD)
|ASTM E96||<0.1 Perm (5.7ng/(Pa•s•m2)
Class I vapor retarder per ICC
|COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH||ASTM D1621||Meets ASTM C1289, Type I, Grade 3 (25 psi)|
|WATER ABSORPTION||ASTM C209||<1% by Volume
*Typical Results <0.5% by Volume
|DIMENSIONAL STABILITY||ASTM D2126||<2% Linear Change
*Typical Results <1% Linear Change
|SERVICE TEMPERATURES||–||-100°F to +250°F
(-73°C to 122°C)
|POTENTIAL HEAT||NFPA 259||12,000 Btu/lb|
|AUTO-IGNITION TEMPERATURE||ASTM D1929||800°F|
- ASTM C1289 Type l, Class 1 (Pro)
- ASTM C1289 Type l, Class 2 (Pro 2)
- ASTM E84 Flame Spread, less than 25
- ASTM E84 Smoke Development, less than 450
- ASTM E2357 Air Barrier Assembly Test – Passed
- UL Listed for flame spread, see BRYX.R13089
- ANSI/UL 263 (E119) hourly rated wall approvals (see UL Online Certification Directory)
- NFPA 285 (consult Atlas for our extensive list of approved assemblies)
- PE Evaluation of fire properties, see TER 1306-03
- International Building Code (IBC), Section 2603
- International Residential Code (IRC), Section R316
- Water Resistive Barrier ICC-ES ESR-1375
- ASHRAE 90.1 / ASHRAE 189.1 / IECC / IGCC
Continuous Insulation Standards
- Foil faced insulation greater than .5″ thick is prescriptively defined as an air barrier material by IECC and ASHRAE 90.1
- Class l vapor retarder (
- California Approved Insulation Registry T 1231
EnergyShield Pro or Pro 2 can be used as part of a WRB and potentially part of an air barrier assembly. EnergyShield Pro and Pro 2 have passed ASTM E2357 as a component of an Air Barrier Assembly. In these types of assemblies it is required that all joints, penetrations, and openings be taped or sealed by other means. Atlas recommends flashing EnergyShield Pro or Pro 2 into rough openings and other building transitions. The foil facers are compatible with most flashing or sheathing tape, joint fillers, sealants, and adhesives. Consult the product manufacturer for specific compatibility.
Atlas Technical Bulletins
PIMA Technical Bulletins
Concrete Masonary Unit (CMU)
Tilt Up Concrete Wall
Engineered Metal Building